Monday, May 2, 2011

Way to Go Dr. Gordineer!

Congratulations to Dr. Dale Gordineer who completed his motorcycle ride to raise funds for Alzheimer's and honor the memory of his father. 





 Here is the story of his trip in his own words:

Just wanted to let everyone know I completed my Iron Butt ride raising money for Alzheimer's Disease.  I covered 1561 miles in 34 hours 58 minutes.  That left 1 hr 2 mins to spare.  I must give great thanks to Beth for following me in the truck!  Knowing she was behind me made a big difference.  I don't know how to repay her.  We left N. Augusta, SC at 6:25 AM Friday.  I don't think it ever got above 60 deg the whole day.  It was windy and the truck traffic was awful.  We lost about 30 minutes in Harrisburg, Pa rush hour traffic.  About 50 miles from Scranton I actually left Beth at a construction zone and went around on the shoulder.  When I was 6 miles from my exit it started to rain...hard.  When I arrived at the hotel in Scranton my sister ran out and I couldn't stop shivering!  Beth arrived about 20 minutes later.  I think it took at least an hour to thaw out.  I was having serious doubts about finishing the ride the next day.  We spent about 3 great hours with my brother Larry, and my sisters Sharon and Shelley.  It was the first time we had all been together in about 2 1/2 years.  We ordered pizza, and had a toast to our mom and dad.  Beth and I went to bed at 11:00 and were up at 4:15 AM.  At 5:00 we were on the road.  Now it was 43 deg!.  Trying to dodge Scranton's potholes in the dark on a motorcycle presents a challenge all its own.  Again, I was freezing even though I was wearing a short sleeve shirt, a long sleeve shirt 2 sweatshirts and a leather jacket.  I think I was cold until about 10:00 when it finally warmed up.  Saturday was much more enjoyable.  Less traffic and no construction back ups.  We rolled into N. Augusta at about 5:15 PM to get the necessary receipts and witness signatures.

I would like to thank everyone who has sponsored me on this trip either through donations to the Alzheimer's Association or gas cards.  If anyone would still like to donate the site is still open here:  http://bit.ly/dalesride

Thanks to everyone for all the support and encouragement you provided!

Dale  "Iron Butt"  Gordineer

No comments:

Post a Comment